News & Eventsback
News & Events
- 25 April 2017 Feast” An exhibition of new paintings by Lucy Doyle
- 4 April 2017 “Wild Places” An exhibition of new paintings by Neal Greig
- 28 March 2017 The Affordable Art Fair, Hampstead 2017
- 10 February 2017 The Affordable Art Fair, Battersea
- 23 January 2017 “Somewhere city, paintings” An exhibition of new paintings by Leonard Sexton
- 11 January 2017 'AwayLand' - New paintings by Cormac O'Leary
- 11 January 2017 The Affordable Art Fair, Battersea
- 16 December 2016 Nutgrove Print Gallery
- 3 December 2016 The Doorway Gallery Christmas Show 2016
- 26 November 2016 Dublin Gallery Map 2016
- 7 November 2016 Edinburgh Art Fair 2016
- 6 November 2016 Gary Devon's Solo Show - “Continuum”
- 24 October 2016 Nutgrove Arts Festival 2016
- 24 October 2016 Gary Devon's Solo Show - “Continuum”
- 17 October 2016 Jackie Edwards wins the Portrait Prize at the RUA
- 15 October 2016 “Départ” An exhibition of new paintings by Jack Hickey
- 29 September 2016 Cambridge Art Fair 2016
- 23 August 2016 The Affordable Art Fair, Bristol FREE TICKETS
- 22 August 2016 An exhibition of new paintings by Angela Morgan
- 14 July 2016 An exhibition of new paintings by Padraig McCaul
- 14 May 2016 The Affordable art fair, Hampstead, London
- 22 March 2016 “The Equus Connection” An exhibition of new paintings by Tony O’Connor
- 1 March 2016 The Affordable Art Fair Battersea
- 20 October 2015 Chris Wilson / RUA
- 20 October 2015 Jackie Edwards /RUA
- 1 October 2015 “Hidden” October 8th – 29th
- 29 August 2015 “Leave the world behind” By Roisin O'Farrell
- 9 August 2015 The Doorway Gallery Summer Show ‘A Summer Selection’ August 1st – 26th
- 27 June 2015
- 20 May 2015 An exhibition of new paintings by Neal Greig & Jock Nichol
- 20 May 2015 Affordable Art Fair London Hampstead 2015 The Affordable Art Fair , Hampstead, London
- 20 May 2015 “Recent Paintings 2015” An exhibition of new paintings by Lucy Doyle
- 20 May 2015 An exhibition of new paintings by Kate Beagan
- 20 May 2015 Along the Atlantic way” An exhibition of new paintings by Padraig McCaul
- 6 November 2014 Chris Wilson - Small Islands.
- 26 October 2014 The Doorway Gallery comes to London for one week!
- 25 October 2014 Roisin O'Farrell's prices are going up!
- 2 October 2014 Ken Browne - ‘Ninety Degrees in View'
- 25 September 2014 Nutgrove arts fest 2014
- 19 September 2014 Culture night 2014
- 14 June 2014 The Doorway Gallery at the Affordable Art Fair Hampstead
- 18 March 2014 'Celtic Legend' Solo exhibition by Iwona Nartowska O’Reilly
- 28 February 2014 The Doorway Gallery at the Affordable Art Fair Battersea
“The Equus Connection” An exhibition of new paintings by Tony O’Connor
The Doorway Gallery is delighted to host an exhibition by Tony O’Connor titled ‘The Equus Connection’ on Thursday, April 7th between 6-7.30pm on 24 South Frederick Street. The exhibition will be officially opened by broadcaster, Tracy Piggott, best known for her work commentating on horse racing on Irish state broadcaster RTÉ.
No other animal is connected with our language more than the horse. Whether you’re looking at a gift horse, a dark horse, a dead horse, from your high horse, from a one horse town, holding your horses or being dragged by wild horses or have the kind of horse that can be led to water but won’t drink it. This new exhibition of work by Tony O Connor is a Horse of a Different Colour.
In his new works, the horses appear luminous & lucid in a contraposition to the sombre & sunless background. The contrast of the vivid and warm tones coalesce in a harmonic symmetry in the murky shadows. There is a soulfulness and quiet strength in these works, where again, the eye of the horse is the window to its soul.
“A large and liquid eye… the swirl of dust around pounding hooves… these, then, are the images that move us”
In his “Storm” series, Tony looks for the connection between the horse and nature. Gone is dark background and quiet strength, here we see the powerful, wild horse in all his full glory. Connections with the base elements, Earth, wind, fire and water run through these pieces. Looser, more expressionistic brushstrokes stoke the embers for a new style of work. Raw energy and dynamism are characterized in these works.
The title image “Unconditional” is perhaps the most “outside” piece of the show, as it physically represents the connection between horse and human.
It was inspired by the following quote:
“Horses carry the wisdom of healing in their hearts and offer it to any humans who possess the humility to listen”`
Born in Kerry in 1977, Tony O’Connor studied Fine Art at Crawford College of Art & Design where he also gained his Higher Diploma in Art Education. Presently, Tony can be found working at his Cork-based studio, creating ever-evolving pieces of equine art.
Tony has a disciplined approach in his study of horse anatomy, and puts a great emphasis on technical execution. As with much of his work, the void of background and simplicity of the pieces serve to highlight the natural physical perfection of these animals. Anyone who appreciates classic elegance cannot but be drawn in.
Date : April 7th
Time: 6 – 7.30 pm
Special Guest : Tracy Piggott,