News & Eventsback
News & Events
- 25 April 2017 Feast” An exhibition of new paintings by Lucy Doyle
- 4 April 2017 “Wild Places” An exhibition of new paintings by Neal Greig
- 28 March 2017 The Affordable Art Fair, Hampstead 2017
- 10 February 2017 The Affordable Art Fair, Battersea
- 23 January 2017 “Somewhere city, paintings” An exhibition of new paintings by Leonard Sexton
- 11 January 2017 'AwayLand' - New paintings by Cormac O'Leary
- 11 January 2017 The Affordable Art Fair, Battersea
- 16 December 2016 Nutgrove Print Gallery
- 3 December 2016 The Doorway Gallery Christmas Show 2016
- 26 November 2016 Dublin Gallery Map 2016
- 7 November 2016 Edinburgh Art Fair 2016
- 6 November 2016 Gary Devon's Solo Show - “Continuum”
- 24 October 2016 Nutgrove Arts Festival 2016
- 24 October 2016 Gary Devon's Solo Show - “Continuum”
- 17 October 2016 Jackie Edwards wins the Portrait Prize at the RUA
- 15 October 2016 “Départ” An exhibition of new paintings by Jack Hickey
- 29 September 2016 Cambridge Art Fair 2016
- 23 August 2016 The Affordable Art Fair, Bristol FREE TICKETS
- 22 August 2016 An exhibition of new paintings by Angela Morgan
- 14 July 2016 An exhibition of new paintings by Padraig McCaul
- 14 May 2016 The Affordable art fair, Hampstead, London
- 22 March 2016 “The Equus Connection” An exhibition of new paintings by Tony O’Connor
- 1 March 2016 The Affordable Art Fair Battersea
- 20 October 2015 Chris Wilson / RUA
- 20 October 2015 Jackie Edwards /RUA
- 1 October 2015 “Hidden” October 8th – 29th
- 29 August 2015 “Leave the world behind” By Roisin O'Farrell
- 9 August 2015 The Doorway Gallery Summer Show ‘A Summer Selection’ August 1st – 26th
- 27 June 2015
- 20 May 2015 An exhibition of new paintings by Neal Greig & Jock Nichol
- 20 May 2015 Affordable Art Fair London Hampstead 2015 The Affordable Art Fair , Hampstead, London
- 20 May 2015 “Recent Paintings 2015” An exhibition of new paintings by Lucy Doyle
- 20 May 2015 An exhibition of new paintings by Kate Beagan
- 20 May 2015 Along the Atlantic way” An exhibition of new paintings by Padraig McCaul
- 6 November 2014 Chris Wilson - Small Islands.
- 26 October 2014 The Doorway Gallery comes to London for one week!
- 25 October 2014 Roisin O'Farrell's prices are going up!
- 2 October 2014 Ken Browne - ‘Ninety Degrees in View'
- 25 September 2014 Nutgrove arts fest 2014
- 19 September 2014 Culture night 2014
- 14 June 2014 The Doorway Gallery at the Affordable Art Fair Hampstead
- 18 March 2014 'Celtic Legend' Solo exhibition by Iwona Nartowska O’Reilly
- 28 February 2014 The Doorway Gallery at the Affordable Art Fair Battersea
Feast” An exhibition of new paintings by Lucy Doyle
The Doorway Gallery is delighted to host an exclusive show by Lucy Doyle entitled ‘Feast’ . The show will officially be opened by Bairbre Power, Fashion Editor of Irish Independent and Weekend Magazine. which will take place Thursday May 4th 6-7.30pm, at No. 24 South Frederick St, and is scheduled to run until May 31st .
“I started work on this exhibition in autumn 2015, directly after my daughters wedding, which we celebrated at home, and so took up months of preparation, working on the garden etc. From out of all the excitement and celebrations ,ideas for paintings began to take shape. Flower girls, garden-scapes, food-laden tables, and flower arrangements became a rich source of inspiration for the work I was planning to do for my next show. And so Feast emerged.
I like to keep an open mind and relaxed attitude when it comes my subject matter. This enables me to be very eclectic and source ideas from the place and people around me, or from reading books, watching films, looking at paintings from art history or simply a feeling, a whim, nostalgia or even a mood.
When it comes to composing and constructing a painting from an idea, I like to incorporate an element of experimentation. I achieve this by experimenting with new ways to apply the paint. In Feast I have explored different coloured grounds within one composition, from terre verte to cadmium red, as well as my old favourite rose and ochre hues. Hopefully finding different ways to represent my idea of space and form two-dimensionally, as I like to push the boundaries and the limits of my style so as to keep it alive with vitality and freshness.
When it comes to the act of painting itself, and when I finally get out the paints and start laying out the composition, I very quickly let the interplay of colour and textures that are created in the moment, take president. Whatever it takes to produce a balanced harmonious painting where the colours remain vibrant and stand alone it where I am at. At this stage previous plans of content and narrative might be shelved or compromised to the betterment of the whole.
As I am essentially concerned with the interplay of colour and textures that the paint itself presents to me .I set out to achieve a living painting,ie where colour and the actual substance of the paint reigns supreme, I want my work to stand alone so that it creates a physical rather than a narrative reaction, that is why I celebrate the 2D qualities of the canvas in a decorative way and why I work in impasto and palette knife which keeps me in tune with the pure physicality of the paint in all its tactile, colour infused buttery beauty." Lucy Doyle
Date: Thursday 4th May
Special Guest: Bairbre Power, Fashion Editor of Irish Independent and Weekend Magazine
Time: 6 – 7.30pm
CLICK HERE TO PREVIEW THE EXHIBITION